Hello. I am Lee Jin-Yong, the President of the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine.
Since its foundation in 1994, the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine has dedicated itself to lead the scientific verification, globalization, and standardization of Korean medicine as well as conservation and further development of the field while creating new values and contributing to the healthy living of people.
We will propose solutions to public health challenges including chronic and intractable diseases and new infectious diseases, such as the COVID-19, prepare for a new future for Korean medicine to keep pace with the age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and carry out practical R&D projects that can produce viable outcomes for the public.
- We will lead digitalization of Korean medicine based on ICT technology.
AI-based diagnosis and prognosis technologies are key source technologies for the bio and medical industries of the future, and we will develop non-contact treatment through convergence research between Korean medicine and artificial intelligence, facilitating the overall adoption of personalized medicine for Koreans and the rest of the world..
- We will develop a new kind of integrative medicine by combining the benefits of KM treatment and technologies of conventional medicine.
We will do our best to promote healthy living for the public by overcoming the diseases that cannot be cured by conventional medicine through integrative medicine and maximizing the strengths of Korean medicine.
- We will study the fundamental principles of traditional Korean medicine, such as essence (精), spirit(神), qi(氣), blood(血), phlegm(痰), stagnant blood(瘀血), fluids and humors(津液), and six qi(六氣), as well as develop and commercialize diagnostic and therapeutic devices to deliver the benefits to the public.
- We will boost the values of herbal medicines by verifying their safety and effectiveness, so that anyone can use them without hesitation, and complementing the limitations of Western medications.
- We will step up in the global exchange of acupuncture researches to enhance the global status of Korean medicine and promote its great advantages around the world.
As a major national research institution in the R&D of Korean medicine, we will continue to strive to advance Korean medicine―that is, the precious treasure of the Korean Peninsula that protected the health of the Korean people for thousands of years―to a more prominent position in the world.
We would like to request your warm support as KIOM proceeds to achieve and expand new values for Korean medicine.